Tuesday, August 24, 2010

1 Simple but Yummy recipe

Today I have a very simple but yummy recipe for you.   Cowboy Caviar!  This is the treat I brought with to our team meeting last Saturday.  Everyone loved it!  It is almost so easy to make that I hate to even put the recipe on here...I said almost!

This is one of those recipes that I will post, but there are so many different ways to change it up to suit your tastes.  Here is the basic recipe:
Cowboy Caviar

1 can black beans
1 can black-eyed peas
1 can white shoepeg corn
5-6 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 can diced chilies
1 cup Italian Dressing

Drain and rinse the beans and peas. Mix all ingredients together and enjoy!

See, what did I tell you?  Easy!  Now, if you don't want to dice up those tomatoes, you can use the canned variety.  I added an orange pepper to mine and I have also added diced avacado.  If you like a little more zip, add jalapeno peppers to the mix.  You can also add chopped cilantro and maybe a little garlic salt.  If your store doesn't carry the white shoepeg corn, I have also just used a couple of cups of frozen corn.  It's always good using green onions, too.

I could go on forever about the ways you can change it up, but I think you get the idea.  This is one of those recipes that could be different each and every time you make it!  It is best, though, to leave it sit for about an hour or so before you  plan to eat it.  This is because the black beans will soak up the flavors and it just plain tastes better.  If you are just really craving it, then by all means, eat it right away!

Happy Scrappin'

No comments:

Post a Comment