Friday, July 16, 2010

Happy Birthday, Grandma and RAKs with blog candy

Yesterday was my dear Grandma's 84th Birthday.  I want to wish her another wonderful year!  She is a wonderful lady that taught me a lot of things along the way.  When I was a kid, I used to spend a lot of time at Grandma's house (she was just across the corn field from my house...we even had a path through the field up there).  I have so many fond memories of the time spent at Grandma's!
Speaking of learning things from Grandma, one of those things was being nice to other people.  Enter Random Acts of Kindness.  I have been thinking a lot about this lately and decided now was the time to blog about it.

See, on Father's Day my husband and I went up to the cemetery to visit our kids.  Upon arriving, we noticed right away that something was missing.  The solar lights we had placed at their graves had been stolen (along with a lot of others from the cemetery).  It was not the monetary value of them, but rather the disappointment in human kind.  How low can you stoop to steal from a cemetery?  I was heartbroken.  We even wrote a letter to the editor of our paper talking about it.  A couple of days later, we discovered that an anonymous someone had replaced the lights along with a few more.  It renewed my faith in people.

In continuing to renew my faith, on the way home from Washington DC last Tuesday, we witnessed not one, not two, but THREE Random Acts of Kindness!  It really did my heart good.  One kind gentleman on the plane got up out of his seat and helped me put my carry-on in the upper compartment.  Then an elderly lady got on the plane and another young gentleman helped her out.  How awesome is that?  It really made me feel good that these young men had such great manners.

Then, in the car on the way home, we saw a van pulled to the side of the road having problems with the load on his trailer.  There was a pickup pulled off to the side in front of the van and another man helping him out.  It was another young man that just happened along, pulled over to help a stranger, and then had to turn around to go about his business.

Simple acts that made a difference in someone else's life!  Leave me a comment or send me an email to let me know what RAKs you have witnessed, whether you delivered them or received them.  I will be drawing one lucky winner from all comments to receive a handmade goody from me!  I will be drawing the winner on July 31st.

I look forward to hearing your RAKs!
Happy Scrappin'

2 comments:

  1. Tammy, I have to tell you that this post makes my heart happy! We arrived in DC several days early as part of our family vacation. One day we were on the tour bus and I knew there were people getting on the bus, but was not really paying attention to the action around me. There were several teenage kids sitting around us who did not even flinch when two elderly women got on and stood because there were no seats. My two young daughters and husband immediately hopped up to offer their seats. This was a RAK that made be so proud and the two women were grateful. Thanks for helping remember this event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nowadays it is so difficult to see some RAK... :(
    So, I was really happy when I saw my nephew helping an old lady at the supermarket. She dropped something and he helped her...

    ReplyDelete