Friday, June 10, 2011

Glazed Lemon Bars

So sorry, I haven't been very good about posting lately (again) but life just tends to get in the way sometimes.  I have been attending an awful lot of softball games lately (and loving it, I might add!)  When you have 3 nieces that are 3 different ages, you end up with a lot of different games.  I am really enjoying the extra time I have now to spend with them.  They really are great kids :)

Last night, on our way home from a game, a big bear ran across the road in front of us.  Then he was kind enough to stand around and let us watch him.  Why, oh why, did I not think to take a picture?  Oh well, maybe next time.

Today, I want to wish my Mother-in-law a very Happy Birthday!  I sure hope you enjoy your special day!

OK, on to the recipe.  I made a pan of these lemon bars a week or so ago (see, I can't even remember just when it was I made them).  I did take pictures of them, though, so I was thinking about all of you :)  These are so good and really pretty easy, too.
Glazed Lemon Bars

Crust:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened

Filling:
4 large eggs at room temperature
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (mine came directly from the bottle :)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup flour
2 cups white sugar

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice (once again, mine was right out of the bottle)

Whisk together flour and powdered sugar, then cut in the butter, mixing until crumbly.  Lightly press into a 9x13 greased pan.  Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until light golden around the edges.  Remove from oven.

During the last few minutes of baking time, mix the eggs, lemon juice, flour, sugar, and baking powder with an electric mixer on high speed for 3 minutes.  The mixture should be frothy and very, very pale yellow.  Pour the mixture over the warm crust and then return to the over for another 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top.

Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.  When bars are cool, whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth and then gently spread over the bars.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and then cut.

Happy Scrappin

No comments:

Post a Comment