Monday, January 19, 2009

National Popcorn Day

Guess what day it is today. OK, besides Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. It is National Popcorn Day! I know, kinda corny (lol) I had to say that :) I did a little research on some little known holidays. I will bring you a new one each month. Does this mean you have to do a layout about popcorn? Only if you want to. I probably will not, however, it did get my mind thinking about it.

I remember way back when (the 'olden' days if you will) before I was married to my husband. He used to come over to our house some nights and we would just sit and watch movies (yeah, it was cheap). Well, you have to have popcorn when watching a movie. He used to LOVE our popcorn. What was so great about it, you ask? I didn't think anything was so special about it, but thinking back, it did taste the best. We popped it in Mom's old frying pan on top of the stove using oil in the pan. You'd have to keep shaking the pan and sliding it across the burner so it wouldn't burn. Then when it was done, you'd use a ton of real butter on it-and popcorn salt. It did taste pretty good! Dale used to come over and ask if we could make popcorn. It was especially good for a couple of years because my Dad decided he was going to grow popcorn in his garden. Well, if Dad said he was going to do something, he did it! It was really a pain for my sister and I, though, as we were the ones that had to do the work! After we picked it, it had to dry for what seemed like forever. Then it had to be shelled. Do you know how we did that? You guessed it...BY HAND! Do you have any idea how sore your hands would get from shelling all that popcorn by hand? I hated popcorn right about then, but when we finally got to pop some...that was a different story. It was the best tasting stuff on earth.

Wow, what memories National Popcorn Day has stirred up for me. Hopefully it will do the same for you.

Happy Scrappin'

No comments:

Post a Comment