Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Candy Corn

Halloween just would not be complete without candy corn.  I love it mixed with dry roasted peanuts - it tastes just like a Salted Nut Roll candy bar :)

While I was blog surfing, I can across these adorable cookies (did you notice them in yesterday's picture of the goodies on our table?)  They were just calling out to me, so of course I had to make them.  You can just use your favorite sugar cookie recipe for this (I won't type all of that out for you here, but if you want it, feel free to let me know as I certainly can do that for you :)
Once you have your sugar cookie dough made (or I guess you could really use the pre-made stuff from the store if that's what you desire) then just divide it into 3.  One you are just going to leave plain, one you will color yellow and the last one you'll color orange - you probably could have figured that much out yourself, huh?  Then, line a loaf pan (not too big) with Saran Wrap.  Then pat the white dough into the pan.  Get it all nice and patted down evenly.  Then layer the orange dough on top of that and get it all patted down.  Last, do the same with the yellow dough.  Each layer should be about 3/4 of an inch thick - roughly, no need to measure, it just all depends upon how big you want your cookies to be.  Refrigerate your dough (at least 1/2 to 1 hour but I left mine overnight as it was too late to finish them the other night).

Remove from frig and lift dough out of pan (see, I told you to line your pan with Saran Wrap - not only does it make it easier to pat it down, but easier to lift out).  Slice the dough into about 1/4" slices.  Then you are going to cut your triangle shapes as shown in the picture. Half of your candy corn pieces are going to be white on the bottom instead of the top, but if I hadn't told you that, you probably wouldn't have even noticed.
Put your candy corn shapes on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with sugar (the sugar is not necessary, but since they will not be frosted, I thought it might add a nice touch.  I just wish I would have had some of that fancy decorator sugar as it would have made them more sparkly.)  Also, since you will not be frosting these cookies, I added extra almond extract to my dough when I mixed it up just to add a little extra flavor.  Then bake cookies according to your recipe.
Done, easy, and oh so cute!
Speaking of candy corn, remember me telling you about my niece Kiana and her Cricut skills?  Well, she came home with me the other night and wanted to make another project.  We were very limited in our time, so this is what she created.  Isn't it adorable?  And it only took her a few minutes!  She was not into the picture-taking mood the other night, though, so no photo with her :)  I thought she was going to take it home with her, but the little stinker said, "I made it for you!"  What a sweetheart - she even wrote a little message on the back for me :)

Happy Scrappin'

No comments:

Post a Comment