Thursday, May 19, 2011

Grown up Mac n Cheese

Remember these pictures from a couple of years ago?
The girls from work all got together at my place and we put together these fun little recipe albums.
Well, I have looked at one of the recipes many times and just not ever made it.  I had the perfect opportunity yesterday.  See, my sister had a little surgery done (bye, bye bunion) and I went over to see her.  I brought over lunch (with enough leftovers for the family for supper, too).  What better than a little Mac n Cheese comfort food.  This is even the grown up version and oh-so-yummy!
Just so you know, I've added my comments to the recipe, too (don't I always).  If you have read my blog for a while and know how I cook, I do not always follow recipes exactly-I usually use what I have or make it work for me :)  I guess I am a little like my Dad after all-that's the way he would cook!     Also, just so you know, I doubled the recipe and just made it in two separate dishes-a bigger one for my sister's family and a small one for myself. 
Baked Swiss Cheese & Ham

1/2 package (8 oz.) large rings (I just used macaroni because it's what I had on hand-pasta's pasta, right?)
3/4 cup chopped onion
2 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups cubed ham
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded Swiss Cheese (I used 1/2 Swiss and 1/2 whatever I had opened in the frig)
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
2-3 tsp. Dijon style mustard
1 (2.8 oz.) can French Fried onions

Cook pasta according to package directions.  In a small skillet, cook onion in butter until tender.  Combine all ingredients except French Fried onions, mix well.  Put in greased 11x7 baking dish.  Cover and bake 35 minutes at 350 or until hot and bubbly.  Uncover and top with French Fried onions.  Bake 5 minutes longer.  Let stand 10 minutes and then eat.  Oh so creamy and delicious.

I made a loaf of beer bread to go along with this.  Doesn't get much better than that!

Happy Scrappin'

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sis! It was very yummy! I might have to have foot surgery more often for how spoiled I'm getting! Have a great day!! :)

    ReplyDelete