Friday, February 25, 2011

Chocolate Joey Cookies

Today's recipe is an old family favorite in my husband's family (well, I had them as a kid a lot, too, but we called them something different).  These are a favorite of my brother-in-law,Joe, hence the name.

Joe had surgery the other day and is a little under the weather.  I thought maybe a batch of these cookies would brighten his day.  I  love them, too, but this way I got a little taste and gave the rest away - that helped the old diet!  :)
As I searched my recipe box for the recipe, I found this copy written on a post-it note and it brought tears to my eyes.  I had forgotten that many years ago (like when she was about 5 at the most) my daughter had copied the recipe down for me because she really wanted me to make them for her. I just thought I would share that copy with you.  It's a good thing that I had my very own copy written down to go by because I don't know if I would have figured it out from her copy!  It is these little things that I find here and there that just really make me smile :)
Chocolate Joey Cookies
(or No-Bake Chocolate Drop Cookies)

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
Boil for 3 minutes

remove from heat and add:
2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups quick cooking oatmeal
3 Tbsp. cocoa
1/2 tsp. salt

Beat until thick and drop onto wax paper.  Cool then store in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.

Happy Scrappin'

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet thing to find! And these are my favorite cookies too. Think I will make some for my Book Club tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun memory! We also called these cookies something else. Our name was Tommy cookies- named for Uncle Tom as they were his favorite! Here I thought we were the only ones :-)

    ReplyDelete