Friday, June 5, 2009

Happy National Doughnut Day

Today is National Doughnut Day (the first Friday in June). Although they are not necessarily nutritious, I have a great recipe from my Great Grandma. I used to love to go to her house and have some of her wonderful homemade doughnuts. They are the really heavy cake doughnuts. When I say heavy, that is exactly what they are, but they are my all-time favorites.

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
4 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 cup milk
3 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
3 cups flour
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour

Slightly beat eggs in a mixing bowl, add sugar and mix thoroughly. Melt butter and add to mixture; beat, add milk, mix. Sift dry ingredients together and add to mixture, add vanilla, mix well. Add last cup of flour. Roll out dough and cut 1/2" thick. Deep fry until golden brown.

I like to dip these in sugar when they are cool. Mmmmm, my favorites. If you bake some, send some my way and I'll let you know how you did :)Here is a nostalgic photo of me with my parents and 10 of my grand parents. Yes, that is correct, 10 grandparents all in the same house at the same time (no photo-shop involved with this photo)! I am the cute little girl in the red dress sitting on my mom's lap, next to my dad. The Great Grandma this recipe came from is sitting in the chair over my right shoulder (Grandma Dena). Of this whole group, only 2 are still living today. I am one lucky girl to have had, and known, so many grandparents. Not too many people can say that!

I also have a couple of cards to show you. The first one is from a party I did. The hostess wanted a kid's card and this is what I came up with. The pattern is called "Sunrise" and it is right out of our new Wishes book. They make it faster, simpler, and easier for us to create some wonderful artwork!Then, I finished up the swap cards I needed to make. Why work harder when I can work smarter? I used the same pattern and papers and came up with a thank you card. I just love this new card size (3x6). Using a 6x6 card base, I can get 4 cards out of a 12x12 piece of cardstock. How cool is that?OK, I need to head back downstairs to get my 2 page layout swaps done today, too. I have the day off of work, but have been trying to catch up on everything else that gets undone while I am away at work.

Happy Scrappin'

No comments:

Post a Comment